[mf2012] networked insurgents and communications guerilla

Josephine Berry Slater josie at metamute.org
Wed Apr 11 18:48:26 CEST 2012

Sorry to be always quoting things on this list, and not getting down to
the nitty-gritty of arguing points through myself... but I am finding it
hard to find the space and time to write anything concerted, although I
would dearly like to reply to Anthony.

Crudely put, Anthony's mail is a criticism of guerilla as a
elitist/Leninist form that operates in the absence of a general movement
- the smile that is missing the rest of the cat's face, and by
extension, a possible criticism of art/theatre that wants to take aim at
the oppressive cage of capitalist social relations/ consensus reality /
cybernetic lockdown etc. but cannot speak in a way that can render
common experience or inspire its alteration - then the following
provides, in my opinion, a really useful way of thinking beyond this
stultifying double-bind. Either mass or elitist. Either integrated and
molar, or (suicidally) individualistic, obscure and/or terroristic. The
following is a section from a talk given by Nick Thoburn at Occupy and
soon to be published in Mute, in which he reads off Deleuze and
Guattari's Minor Politics against the conditions of the Occupy camps and
their strengths/limits. This seemed too appropriate not to send on, but
please don't circulate this any further, since it is soon to be
officially published. The critical point is that the 'cramped space' of
acting in the absence of a movement, is a general condition. Not
something that should prevent us from acting and revolting, with all the
contradictions this implies (cf. Trenton), but an alienation that is
shared by all, and as such, again, a generality.

xj

Minor Politics

I will start with minor politics and fold in some comments about the 99%
–  though bear with me, the relation may not at first be apparent.
Running throughout Deleuze and Guattari’s philosophy is the notion that
politics arises not in the fullness of an identity – a nation, a people,
a collective subject – but, rather, in ‘cramped spaces’, ‘choked
passages’, and ‘impossible’ positions, that is, among those who feel
constrained by social relations.i This is at once a very immediate
experience – let’s say, the experience of poverty debt, or racism – and
also something that is actively willed, a continual deferral of
subjective plenitude that occurs when people shrug off and deny the
seductions of identity and open their perception to what is
‘intolerable’ in social relations; for example, when they ward off the
identity of the democratic citizen, the model majority, the
entrepreneurial self.ii So, what Deleuze and Guattari call ‘major’ or
‘molar’ politics expresses and constitutes identities that are nurtured
and facilitated by a social environment, whereas minor politics is a
breach with such identities, when the social environment is experienced
as constraint, as intolerable.

If this is the case, what is the substance of politics? Well, it can no
longer be about self-expression, about the unfurling of a subjectivity
or a people, because in this formulation there is no identity to unfurl,
the ‘people’ as Deleuze puts it, ‘are missing’.iii Instead, minor
politics is about engagement with the social relations that traverse us,
the relations through which we experience life as ‘cramped’ and
‘impossible’. By social relations I mean the whole gamut of economic
structures, urban architectures, gendered divisions of labour, personal
or sovereign debt, housing, policing, workfare – whatever combination it
might be in any particular situation. In this formulation, the
‘individual intrigue’, as Deleuze and Guattari have it, is ‘immediately’
political, for without an autonomous identity, even the most personal,
individual situation is always already comprised of social relations,
and vice versa. The deferral of identity is in no way a reduction of
singularity, quite the reverse: ‘The individual concern thus becomes all
the more necessary, indispensable, magnified, because a whole other
story is vibrating within it’.iv

Deleuze uses an appealing image to express this. He says that to be on
the right is to perceive the world starting with identity, with self and
family, and to move outward in concentric circles, to friends, city,
nation, continent, world, with diminishing affective investment in each
circle, and with an abiding sense that the centre needs defending
against the periphery. On the contrary, to be on the left, as he puts
it, is to start one’s perception on the periphery and to move inwards.
It requires not the bolstering of the centre, but an appreciation that
the centre is interlaced with the periphery, a process that undoes the
distance between the two.v

Now, there is an important propulsive or motive aspect to this minor
politics. For rather than allow the solidification of particular
political and cultural routes, forms or habits, the practice of warding
off identity works as a mechanism to induce continuous experimentation,
drawing thought and practice back into a field of problematisation,
where contestation, argument and engagement with social relations ever
arises from the experience of cramped space. The constitutive sociality
of this ‘incessant bustle’ dictates that there can be no easy
demarcation between conceptual production, personal style, concrete
intervention, tactical development or geopolitical events, and there is
plenty of space for polemic.vi It is a vital environment apparent in
Kafka’s seductive description of minor literature:

What in great literature goes on down below, constituting a not
indispensable cellar of the structure, here takes place in the full
light of day, what is there a matter of passing interest for a few, here
absorbs everyone no less than as a matter of life and death.vii

I want to make one more brief point before turning to Occupy. I gestured
toward a (potentially infinite) range of social relations that minor
politics might arise from and engage with, but for Deleuze and Guattari
there is a dynamic internal to all of them, the dynamic of capital.
Deleuze states:

Félix Guattari and I have remained Marxists, in our two different ways,
perhaps, but both of us. You see, we think any political philosophy must
turn on the analysis of capitalism and the ways it has developed. What
we find most interesting in Marx is his analysis of capitalism as an
immanent system that’s constantly overcoming its own limitations, and
then coming up against them once more in a broader form, because its
fundamental limit is capital itself.viii

As is abundantly clear in the quotation, Deleuze’s assertion of
‘Marxism’ is not the introduction of a transcendent explanation, but an
insistence that we won’t understand the social field or develop
effective politics without coming to grips in some shape or form with
the contemporary modalities and dynamic structures of the capitalist
mode of production.