[mf2012] A Forest by Gherasim Luca

anthony iles anthony_iles at yahoo.com
Sat May 26 14:39:05 CEST 2012

fellow trefoils, I'd like to share this poem by Gherasim Luca
in a new collection by the deceased Romanian surrealist poet. I think
it's a good example of how a forest can move. I've posted the full poem here, an excerpt follows:

The forest hung from a branch

hides the tree from the hanged man in the tree

Hung from the highest branch

the original forest

sticks out its original tongue

of its uninitialed CRIMES

At the heart of the word TREE

the head of the word BRANCH

chopped off

Lost head

errant heart

Far from falling at the foot of the word TREE

the head of the word BRANCH rises

The head of the word BRANCH

rises to the head of the word TREE

and BARS it

The block of the surface of the word EARTH

which, drunk with wood, ERRS without a T

in the tempest of the word VERSE without a head

No head of a word falls

no head, no fall

in the shadow of the tree without shadow or prey

Axe without head “or handle”

planted in the wood of the edge

the word PREY without head or tail

kills the word KING in its body and its soul

its trap and its number

The word EDGE at the heart of the word FOREST

without beginning or end

From Ghérasim Luca, Self-Shadowing Prey, Contra Mundum Press, 2012.