[mf2012] building towards a network insurgency

josie at metamute.net josie at metamute.net
Sat Feb 25 23:32:42 CET 2012

Dear Rachel and Shu Lea

Probably every line of this nugget has something that intrigues, troubles
and incites me. In fact, just reading it, I start feeling activated and
terroristic! It's like a self-extracting time-capsule lobbed into the
future, waiting for the temperature to rise just enough so it can be
activated, like the tick that can wait 20 years in the grass, waiting only
for a certain chemical whiff and blood-temperature to wake it up. The
guerrilla ticks of time.

In this sense, Rays of Sun is itself an instance of what Curcio and
Franceschini are talking about. The communicating vessel that moves in and
out of visibility. It grows louder in the ears, mouths and actions of its
readers, then it gets lost again. It gets translated out of the Italian,
and brought back to life because Tiqqun want to reanimate the ghosts of
'autonomy' in a different moment of social war. The 'failed' guerilla
party, and Autonomia, get thrown into the era of full-blown neoliberalism,
when all its desire to get free, to de-subjectify from the tango between
liberal capitalism and the workers' movement, have also become the
classless, flexibilised landscape of our subjection. Neoliberalism and the
70s radical left agree, as Michel Feher says, that the 'personal is
political', that the production of the self is a social production, but to
completely different ends. Neoliberalism wants to 'help us help
ourselves', nudge us towards self-optimisation and the acquisition of
competences, and the guerrilla party wants us to recognise the production
and reproduction of ourselves as the effect of social normalisation which
make the 'abilities-machines' that will produce its market vibrancy with
all our self-interested calculating.

The problem for neoliberalism is that it's been too successful - it's
stamped out the nonmarket spaces, soaked up our spare time into
consumption, and choked off the social solidarity, charity, love, whatever
that once helped bind the ragged stumps of social existence back together
so that we could make it back to work the next day or the next generation
could, in a fit state to start again. Now it wants our sympathy, and we
should be Big about it, and be a Society, despite what Thatcher said. But
it's unitised the fuck out of everything - space/time/self. It's created a
psychic schizophrenia for everyone, just as for us looking for
transgressive, guerilla communication, network insurgency, as for the same
us in our other lives, looking to get some advantage at work so our wedge
grows bigger, working with interns, or in an office which - as we read
today in Gulag GB, may be being cleaned by unpaid benefits recipients
compelled to do workfare!

So, although I am trying to think concretely about networked insurgency
and communications technologies, I think it's good to take a bit of time
to think about the civil war that's in our heads. Does this mean our
transmissions will drift and ghost out into utilitarian calculation and
human self-capitalisation? Of course! And maybe we should work with that.
I need to think this all over some more, but I like process like you
Rachel, and also think the olympian citadel makes for a great target,
logic and stage. Do we want to create a guerilla counter-games, a
transgressive communications triathlon, an energy expenditure spree of
olympian pointlessness, a relay race of relentless transmissions of
subversive messaging, maps of the olympic Lager? Anti-citizenship tests?

Brain-battery running on low capacity - need to watch some TV, intake a
nutrition packet, rest fingers and bones to fight another day. Konk.

x j

> [...]
>> antagonistic to that which led to their devastation and revolt. [ ...]
>> In the ideology of control, an at-risk dividual is already synonymous
>> with a 'potential terrorist madman,' with a fragment of high-explosive
>> social material. That is why these dividuals are tracked down, spied on,
>> and followed with the discretion and tireless rigor of the hunter by the
>> great eye and the great ear. For the same reason they are made the
>> target of an intense, intimidating semiotic bombardment that sustains
>> the scraps of official ideology. [ . . ] This is how the metropolis
>> achieves its specificity as a concentration camp which, in order to
>> deflect the incessant social antagonism it generates, Simultaneously
>> integrates and manipulates the artifices of seduction and fantasies of
>> fear. Artifices and fantasies that assume the central function of the
>> nervous system of the dominant culture and reconfigure the metropolis
>> into an immense psychiatric total institution - a labyrinthine network
>> of High Security Quarters, areas of continuous control, loony bins,
>> prisoner containers, reserves for volunteer metropolitan slaves,
>> bunkered zones for demented fetishes. [. . ] In the metropolis,
>> perpetrating violence against the necrotropic fetishes of Capital is
>> humanity's greatest possible conscious act because it is through this
>> social practice that the proletariat constructs--by appropriating the
>> vital productive process - its knowledge and its memory, that is, its
>> social power. Destroying the old world through revolutionary
>> transgression and bringing forth from this destruction the surprising
>> and multiple constellations of new social relations are simultaneous
>> processes that ate nonetheless of two distinct kinds. [ . ] Those
>> responsible for creating the imaginary world prohibit themselves from
>> communicating real life, turning real life into madness; they fabricate
>> angels of seduction and little monsters of fear in order to display them
>> to the miserable rabble through the networks and circuits that transmit
>> the sanctioned hallucination. [ . .] To rise up from the ' registered
>> location,' to take to the stage to wreck the fetishistic performance:
>> that is what the metropolitan guerrillas of new communication have set
>> out to do from the start. [ . . ] Within the complex metropolitan
>> revolutionary Lager - the most total Program process, the party cannot
>> have an exclusively or eminently political form. [ . ] Nor can the party
>> take on an exclusively combative form. The 'power of arms' does not
>> imply, as the militarists believe, absolute power, because absolute
>> power is the power-knowledge that reunifies social practices. [
] A
>> guerilla party means: the party of power/party of knowledge. The
>> guerrilla party is the agent through which proletarian knowledge-power
>> achieves its maximum exteriorization and invisibility. [
] This means
>> that the greater the party's invisibility, the more it opposes global
>> imperialist counterrevolution, the greater its visibility, the more it
>> becomes an internal part of the proletariat, that is to say, the more it
>> communicates with the proletariat. [
] In this way, the guerrilla party